Dogs forbidden to swim in ponds with blooming water
In 2019, the United States recorded numerous cases of death of dogs after swimming in ponds with blooming water. The killers of animals turned out to be neurotoxins, which are contained in blue-green algae and actively breed in water in the summer. They cause the so-called flowering of water when its surface looks completely green.
The death of dogs from swallowed while swimming and walking along the seaweed was repeatedly confirmed by veterinarians. For this reason, the authorities of many cities issued orders banning the bathing of dogs in flowering ponds. Such measures were taken on the entire Pacific coast of the United States.
The flowering process does not know geographical boundaries and can be fixed in various parts of the globe, therefore it poses a threat to pets in any country. The harmful substances of blue-green algae can cause a number of diseases - from skin rashes to neurological problems, as well as damage the dog’s liver or even cause paralysis of her breathing.
“Often, neurotoxins kill animals before they get to the vet. We have recorded numerous fatal cases during the flowering period of water. It was then that cyanobacteria actively developed in water bodies, ”Val Beasley, professor of veterinary sciences, wildlife sciences and environmental toxicology at the University of Pennsylvania, comments on the situation.
He also adds that dogs are more susceptible to toxins in blue-green algae than humans. In addition, due to the disgusting smell of green water, it is unlikely that any person would want to swim in such a lake or a pond. Dogs do not experience such discomfort, therefore, and do not beware of the infected water itself. And this significantly increases the risk of water during the propagation of blue-green algae.