We teach children kindness: 7 tips for adults from a psychologist
Complaints are often heard that kindness becomes scarcity. But this is a quality without which it is impossible to create a normal society. How to raise kindness in children and will animals help here?
In the photo: a child and a dog
Four-legged and feathered friends, of course, are great helpers in the upbringing of kindness and love for all living things. However, it all depends on the parents.
How to bring kindness in a child? There are several lessons of kindnesswhere we can set an example for children.
- Do not take a pet on the first demand of a child, especially if you yourself are not disposed to this. Explain that this is a crucial step to prepare for. And you can get a dog, cat or any other animal only when you are 100% sure that you can provide him with a happy life for many years. And in the first place, adults themselves should be sure - after all, it will be on them that the main care of the pet will lie, the child is not yet able to take on such responsibility. Start preparation with the child: study the animal breeds, the characteristics of the character and their care, find out where the nearest veterinary clinic is, buy the necessary supplies, etc.
- If you do not have particular preferences for a particular breed, you can take a mongrel animal from a shelter - so you will give the child a great example of mercy. But in this case, no matter how much the volunteers assure you that the potential pet is healthy, immediately go to the veterinarian.In addition, shelter dogs and cats often behave, especially at the beginning of life together, not quite as you expect - you need to prepare for this in advance.
- Do not breed animals. Watch your pets and do not allow puppies or kittens to appear if there is no guarantee that they will be able to find really good owners. However, there are almost never such guarantees. It makes sense to breed only perfectly healthy animals with an excellent psyche, and a couple must be selected very carefully. The amateur will definitely not cope with this task. And nobody needs dogs and cats and there are too many to contribute to this dubious enterprise and set an example of irresponsibility for children. It is much more humane to sterilize a pet.
- Take care of animals and provide for their needs. Animals have rights that simply need to be respected - this is the minimum that our pets are entitled to rely on.
- Give your child an example of the right attitude towards animals. Unfortunately, cruelty is still widespread in our culture towards those whom we condescendingly call “little brothers” - cruel methods of upbringing and education, inhumane ammunition and just the habit of breaking the anger accumulated over the day. It is unacceptable. Now the world science of animals has advanced far, many humane methods of raising and correcting the behavior of dogs and cats have been developed. These methods are worth getting familiar with. Yes, perhaps training a dog with positive reinforcement will take a little longer (although not at all much more), but it's worth it.Firstly, in your relationship with the pet there will be much more mutual understanding, and secondly, you will set an example for the younger generation. After all, no matter what you suggest to the children in words, they will copy your actions.
- Refuse cruel entertainments: dolphinariums, traveling menageries, the majority of zoos (if you are not sure that all necessary conditions for animals are created there) and circuses with animals. These entertainments only contribute to the development of egoism and insensitivity to other people's pain. And then older people complain that the children grew up so insensitive and "ungrateful." But it was you who taught them this, demonstrating that you can torture others for your own pleasure.
- Observe safety precautions and never (never!) Leave a small child alone with an animal. Both the baby and the pet can harm each other - not out of evil, but out of awkwardness or thoughtlessness. Your task is to make communication between the child and the four-legged friend safe for both parties.
In the photo: a child and a dog
Studies were conducted, the results of which showed that, of course, not all children who torture animals grow up as sociopaths, but all criminals who have committed crimes against the person began with bullying animals.
It is up to you to decide what your child will become in the future.