Norwegian dog handler training course Anne Lill Kvam
Using search and trace work to enrich life and correct dog behavior
Dates: March 17 - 18, 2018
Who is interested in the course?
- Dog owners who are interested in developing the dog’s natural abilities and correcting their pet’s behavior with modern methods.
- Trainers, dog handlers and dog handlers.
- Dog behavior correction specialists.
- Shelter volunteers, members of breeding assistance teams that adapt dogs with different behavioral difficulties.
- Dog breeders who care about the competent socialization of puppies and enrich the environment of their kennel.
- Students who plan to associate their future profession with working with dogs.
About the instructor
Ann Lill Kvam:
- Norwegian dog handler
- World renowned track and search specialist
- Honorary Member of the European Association of Dog Trainers (PDTE)
- Head of the Troll Hundeskole Dog School in Norway
- He is the author of The Caine Kingdom of Scent and the Nosework educational series: Search Games, Scent Discrimination, Tracking.
“Ever since I learned to read, dogs have been my main passion. I was very young, but I had already read all the books and magazines available to me about dogs. I was sure that at 8 years old I would definitely have a dog. I started professionally dealing with animals in 1986, when I prepared my first dog for search and rescue work. Later, with two of my dogs, we participated in obedience championships and worked a lot with Norwegian cynological clubs. But pretty soon, I realized that dogs are capable of something much more complex than "sitting", "lying" and "next to". Therefore, in 1995, I continued my studies at the international school of trainers for dogs Turid Rugos. And my life has changed dramatically. I quit my previous “stable” job as an IT engineer and completely devoted myself to working with animals.
From 1997 to 2000, I worked in Angola, where I trained dogs to search for anti-personnel landmines, and also conducted advanced training for military dog handlers.
Since then, I specialize in search work, train specialists in MSS, search for explosives, drugs and weapons around the world. The second important area of my interest is stress and aggression in dogs.
I believe that one of the main causes of behavior problems in dogs is improperly structured stimulation - a huge number of requirements and commands and a tiny amount of mental stimulation. Dog owners come to me with traditional problems - a dog digs up beds in the garden, growls and rushes at other dogs, chasing cars and bicycles ... But this is nothing more than symptoms. The causes of these problems always lie deep in the daily life of the dog, its daily routine, and health status.
Today my main tasks are:
- teach people that dogs need to work with odors and search games
- to exclude punishments in the work of the owners with their dogs ”.
What practical knowledge and skills will you leave with?
- Learn to “read” dogs, recognize signs of fear, aggression, stress
- Master new dog behavior correction techniques
- You can correctly develop the natural inclinations and mental abilities of a pet
- Learn how to avoid behavior problems
- Get a step-by-step training plan for the dog to search for (item, substance, trace)
- Meet new colleagues and like-minded people!
- ..and also take a walk along the spring coast of the Baltic Sea!
Program The course will be held in English with consecutive translation into Russian!
The number of places with dogs is very limited, find out their availability before paying
Saturday, March 17
10.00 — 13.00
- Theory.What makes up the mental health of a dog. The physiological mechanism for solving the problems of dog behavior.
- Intraspecific aggression: why the dog is aggressive towards other dogs, external symptoms and true causes.
- Fears, destructive behavior alone, lack of contact with the owner, excessive barking, protection of the resource (food, toys, owner) and territory. Correction Methods.
- Tools for correcting behavior and restoring contact with the owner through intellectual games and search work.
14.00 — 18.00
- A practical program of search games for walks in the city, outside the city. Search games in the apartment.
Sunday, March 18th
10.00 — 13.00
- Theory and practice. Methods of teaching the search for things (keys, gloves, bags).
- The method of laying a trace and training the dog to find an object or
- man on the trail.
- Analysis of typical mistakes of owners.
14.00 — 18.00
- Search technique in a given area square.
- Identification of odors. Search for given substances.
- Using past experience to reach a new level of work with a dog. Practice by methods.
Frequently asked Questions
Are there any breed restrictions for this type of activity? Is it possible to engage in search work with decorative breeds of dogs?
It is possible and useful to teach a dog of any breed and without breed to teach using this technique. Including Yorkshire terriers, lapdogs, pugs, bulldogs and papillons.
How old can dogs be in this activity?
The earliest age for the simplest tasks is 2 months. The oldest age does not exist.
If I am a novice owner, will the seminar be interesting and useful to me?
The information will be clearly structured and presented in a clear language. But for a complete understanding of the material, you need to have basic knowledge about the nature of dog behavior. And get ready after participating in the seminar you will become an advanced host))
If I am a professional (dog handler, dog behavior correction specialist, handler, breeder), what will participation in the seminar give me?
Further training, in-depth knowledge about the psychology of dogs, stress, the nature of aggression, cognitive abilities.
Structured training schemes for finding a thing, laying a trace, searching in a square, starting with the basics and ending with the search for special substances.
Certificate of participation in the seminar.
If I live and walk a dog in the city, can I apply the knowledge on daily walks or do I need to go “to nature” for training?
You can teach search work, play search games and give your dog quality leisure anywhere, including your apartment. Training schemes are tailored to the individual needs of the owner and the dog.
If I want to come with a dog, what should I do? Are there any requirements for dogs?
You need to find out if there is free space left to participate with the dog, write a letter to [email protected], if yes, pay it. The dog must know the basic commands “sit”, “wait”, have a comfortable soft collar or harness and a long (3-5 m) fabric leash.
Cost of participation
50 euros - One day (if paid before February 25)
60 euros - Two days (if paid before February 25)
80 euros - Two days with a dog (if paid before February 25).
Contact for any questions!
Phone in Latvia: +371 26051462